Bids to demolish two shuttered elementary schools will be among the items under consideration tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 6 when the Walled Lake Consolidated Schools Board of Education meets.
Twin Beach Elementary, 7149 Oakley Park Road in West Bloomfield, and Maple Elementary, 7389 W. Maple Road in West Bloomfield, were closed at the end of the 2011-12 school year, following a recommendation by a facility utilization study conducted by Plante Moran. The study found the schools were operating at 83-percent capacity, but enrollment was expected to drop to about 76 percent within five years.
The closings were expected to reduce the district’s operational costs by about $655,000 each year.
The board will consider bids to demolish the buildings when it meets at 7 p.m. tomorrow for its regularly scheduled meeting.
Additional actions scheduled and motions to be considered on the meeting agenda include:
• Recognition of students and teachers, including two Golden Apple Awards for two district teachers and recognition of art students at Dublin, Hickory Woods, and Glengary elementary schools; Sarah Banks Middle School; and Walled Lake Northern High School;
• The recall of one teacher at Walnut Creek Middle School with more than 16 years teaching experience; Michey Hogan, a teacher at Walled Lake Western High School with more than 25 years of experience; and Kimberly Jahn, a special services teacher at the district with more than 13 years of experience;
• A review of custodial services provided by Enviro-Clean Building Services;
• A resolution regarding the district’s Head Start Program, including measures to comply with federal contract regulations;
• A resolution to permit summer property tax collections, as required by state law;
• The nomination of Kirsten Haglund to the district’s Wall of Fame; and
• An amendment to the Fiscal Year 2012-13 budget to more accurately reflect revenues and expenditures for the school year.