Seven West Bloomfield High School students have qualified as semi-finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program.
The program, which has existed since 1955, is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships. High school students may enter by taking the preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.
The school district has announced that National Merit Scholarship semi-finalists from the district this year include:
• Erin Finn, who maintains a 4.0 grade point average and is also an Advanced Placement (AP) Scholar with Distinction. She is a member of the National Honor Society and serves in the school’s Spanish Club and the West Bloomfield Interact Club.
She also recently won her second straight Michigan High School Athletic Association cross country girls championship at the Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn, Mich., on Nov. 3.
Finn earned the distinction of Miss Cross Country 2012 from the Michigan Interscholastic Track Coaches Association, as well as the 2011-12 Gatorade Michigan Runner of the Year award.
She also set a new national record in March at the National High School Indoor National Championships in New York in the 5,000-meter dash with a time of 16:19.7.
• Spandana Alluri, an AP Scholar with Honors and a member of the National Honor Society. Alluri is also a member of the school’s Law Club, VIP Club, International Club, Spanish Club, ACT Club, and Model United Nations (UN).
Outside of the classroom, Spandana plays junior varsity tennis and basketball, and is also a member of the West Bloomfield High School marching band.
• Louisa Brenner, an AP Scholar with Honors, a Jack Kent Cooke Scholar and a member of the National Honor Society. Brenner also serves on the school’s Student Council, Student Government, French Club and Model UN.
In addition, Brenner is also involved in dancing.
• Priya Sorab, an AP Scholar with Honors and a National Honor Society member. Sorab has also earned the Arya International Academy Dance Award and serves on the school’s International Club and Model UN.
Sorab has constructed study guides and websites for subjects such as AP U.S. History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry and Spanish, which are now utilized by students around the nation.
• Suha Syed, an AP Scholar with Honors and a member of the school’s Spanish Club, Model UN, International Club, Book Club, and Earth Club. Syed also runs on the school’s cross country and track and field teams.
• Micaela Trexler, an AP Scholar with Distinction who serves on the school’s Spanish Club and Earth Club, in addition to the West Bloomfield Interact Club. Trexler also plays varsity volleyball and tennis.
• Sankeerth Garapati, who runs on the West Bloomfield track and cross country teams.