People looking to celebrate Veterans Day at one of Oakland County’s parks may do so with free admission on Sunday, Nov. 11.
Oakland County Parks and Recreation will offer free park entry to all guests on Sunday in honor of Veterans Day. Free admission will be offered all day at the following parks:
• Addison Oaks County Park, 1480 West Romeo Road, in Addison Township;
• Highland Oaks County Park, 6555 Milford Road, in Highland Township.
• Independence Oaks County Park, 9501 Sashabaw Road, in Independence Township;
• Lyon Oaks County Park, 52221 Pontiac Trail, in Lyon Township.
• Orion Oaks County Park, 2301 Clarkston Road, in Orion Township;
• Red Oaks Dog Park, 31353 Dequindre, in Madison Heights; and
• Rose Oaks County Park, 10400 Fish Lake Road, in Rose Township.
In addition to free admission on Sunday, visitors to Springfield Oaks County Park in Springfield Township may attend Awesome Pawsome, a dog handlers’ event that features canine performances and tricks choreographed to music. The event, which features the Freestyle Fanatics Dog Club, runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday at the Springfield Oaks Activity Center, 12451 Andersonville Road.
Only dogs competing in the event are allowed. For more information, call 586-707-4138.
Originally commemorated as Armistice Day in 1919, Nov. 11 has been set aside for parades and public meetings, and a brief suspension of business. The day of observance went through various changes over the years, but has been unchanged since 1978 as the day to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.