The Walled Lake Consolidated School District will be hosting a multitude of budget meetings over the next couple of months for members of the community, parents, and staff.
The need to hold these meetings comes after Gov. Rick Snyder proposed funding cuts of $470 per pupil to public schools for the 2011-12 academic year.
While the district initially expected to have to make reductions of $20 million, the number has now been raised to $24 million after further analysis of other factors in addition to Snyder’s proposal.
After factoring in retirement rate increases, special education reductions, health insurance increases, temporary state and federal funds, state-funded programs, enrollment declines, additional unemployment, and Snyder’s proposal, the Walled Lake district is looking at losing $1,559 per pupil during the next school year.
Therefore, to keep the public informed, the district will be hosting 21 different budget presentation meetings. The first was held on Monday, April 11. Six more were held yesterday, Tuesday, April 12.
The rest of the meetings are scheduled as follows:
• 7 p.m. today, Wednesday, April 13 at Hickory Oaks Elementary School;
• 7 p.m. today at Oakley Park Elementary School;
• 9:15 a.m. tomorrow, Thursday, April 14 at Meadowbrook Elementary School;
• 7 p.m. Monday, April 18 at Central High School;
• 7 p.m. Monday, April 25 at Western High School;
• 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 26 at Geisler Middle School;
• 7:30 p.m. April 26 at Loon Lake Elementary School;
• 4:15 p.m. April 26 at Keith Elementary School;
• 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 27 at Commerce Elementary School;
• 9 a.m. April 30 at Northern High School;
• 7 p.m. May 2 at Walled Lake Elementary School;
• 7 p.m. May 3 at Dublin Elementary School;
• 9:30 a.m. May 3 at Twin Beach Elementary School;
• 6:30 p.m. May 9 at Sarah Banks Middle School; and
• 7 p.m. May 10 at Walnut Creek Middle School.